Preparing to sell your house? It’s time to dive in and get busy because there’s a lot to tackle before you can list your home!
Selling a home involves much more than sticking a “For Sale” sign in your yard or sharing a few random photos online—especially if you want to maximize your profit – and who doesn’t? That’s why we’ve created a list of things you need to do as a homeowner before selling your home. You can access this checklist on this page or download it as a PDF here: Preparing to Sell Your Home Checklist.
Find Out Your Home’s Value
First things first before you start fixing up your house, it’s important to kickstart the planning side of selling your home. The best way to do this is by teaming up with a real estate agent. Your listing agent will be your guide throughout the home-selling process. They’ll figure out how much your home is worth, arrange open houses, market your property, and negotiate with buyers to close a deal.
Early in the stage of the home selling process, your agent will do a Comparative Market Analysis (CMA) to determine your home’s potential market value. They’ll look at factors like the time of year and what’s happening in your local market. Based on this analysis, you and your agent can chat about whether doing any renovations is a good move for your selling strategy. Your agent can give you advice on which renovations might make the most sense, considering what buyers are looking for in your area and what similar homes are offering.
If you want to get a rough idea of your home’s value before talking to your agent, you can use our Home Value Report below. Just fill in your home address and we will send you an estimate of your home’s worth in this current market.
Checklist to Preparing to Sell Your Home
Once you’ve teamed up with a real estate agent, it’s time to ensure your home is in its best possible condition for selling. Your agent will guide you through this process to maximize your chances of a successful sale.
- Wash and vacuum floors
- Wipe down windows and mirrors
- Dust all surfaces
- Do all laundry including linens
- Wash dishes and put away
- Clean bathrooms
- Tidy up the front and back yards
- Remove personal items such as papers, photos and knick-knacks
- Donate old clothes, books, shoes, etc. you no longer want
- Pack anything you don’t need while you sell
- Hide valuables in a safe place
- Clean scuff marks on floors and walls
- Touch-up chipped paint
- Replace burnt-out light bulbs
- Fill holes left by wall hangings
- Replace old outlet covers
- Tighten or replace loose door handles
- Replace broken or bent blinds
- Add oil to squeaky doors
- Repair any plumbing leaks
- Repair any non-working cabinets and drawers
- Replace the roof if it is old and/or needs repair
- Invest in new, modern appliances
- Repaint rooms with neutral colors
- Update bathrooms and kitchen, which tend to add the most value
- Decorate with throw pillows and blankets, candles, and one or two pieces of art in living areas
- Add plants around the home
- Place a bouquet of fresh flowers or a fruit bowl on the kitchen counter
- Add a doormat and potted plant at the entrance
This checklist is available as a free downloadable PDF here: Preparing Home to Sell Checklist – PDF